Location: Falls Church, Va.
Project type: religious
Client: Falls Church Episcopal Church
This project involved master planning and a major addition to the historic Falls Church Episcopal. Built in 1734, the original campus included a 1955 school. A new sanctuary was designed to retain the intimacy of the original historic church, with supporting educational, fellowship and administrative support spaces.
Adding a large worship facility on this site posed a significant challenge. In order to address the scale of the historic buildings, a curvilinear "garden wall" was used to camouflage the size of the addition and to organize the multiple entrances required around the site into an orienting, continuous path.
The new facilities included worship, fellowship, adult education, administrative, kitchen, dining room and meeting room spaces. The renovation included HVAC rehabilitation and hazardous material abatement. Michael Foster of MTFA Architecture served as a project designer and architect for the new worship and support space and the renovation and expansion of the existing school wing.
This project won the National Honor Award for Architecture from the Interfaith Forum on Religion, Art and Architecture.