Location: University of Pennsylvania
Size: 22,500 square feet
Awards: Preservation Achievement Grand Jury Award, Preservation Alliance of Greater Philadelphia Historic Preservation Award, Preservation Pennsylvania
Franklin Field, the oldest venue in the country still hosting NCAA events, was designed by Charles Klauder and built in 1922. After two years of use, it was found to be inadequate to meet the demand of ticket sales and in 1925 an upper level was added. Franklin Field is in the heart of the campus and is one of the contributing buildings within the University of Pennsylvania Campus Historic District which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
When the University decided to construct a weight training facility for varsity athletes and fitness facilities for the student body, Crawford Architects of Kansas City was selected for the design. John Milner Associates Preservation was the preservation consultant on the Crawford team, responsible for historic research, preservation issues, and assistance during construction administration.
The George A. Weiss Pavilion is named for a distinguished graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and consists of the adaptive reuse of the north side of the stadium. Constructed in the infill of the long concourses of Franklin Field on two levels, the space was created by infilling the large arched openings of the concourses. When completed, the Weiss Pavilion encompasses an 18,000 square foot weight room and two running tracks. Inside the Pavilion is the Robert A. Fox Fitness Center, an 8,000 square foot recreational space featuring cardio and strength equipment for the student body. Also part of the project is the Education Commons, a 7,000 square foot mezzanine study space with the capacity to hold more than 180 students for group or individual study. The project is LEED Gold Certified.