Location: Scranton, Pennsylvania
Size: 56,000 square feet
The Lackawanna County Courthouse is located on Courthouse Square at the heart of historic downtown Scranton, Pennsylvania, a 4.7 acre site. The original courthouse was erected 1881-1884 as a three-story structure built with a local West Mountain sandstone and Onondaga limestone trim.
In 1896, the courthouse was enlarged by erecting new third and fourth floors designed with curved Dutch end gables. The original sheet metal roof was rebuilt using terra cotta tiles. The restored courthouse features a five-story clocktower and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
JMA Preservation served as consulting historic architect for Highland Associates of Clarks Summit, PA and was responsible for the following work:
-Field survey and assessment of exterior masonry and roofing materials -Field survey and assessment of interior spaces including the historic courtrooms. The scope of repair work was determined by the results of JMA Preservation's field work. -Cleaning tests on the exterior masonry -Preparation of drawings and specifications for masonry restoration, ornamental plaster repair, repair of decorative paint finishes, repair of woodwork, and restoration of interior marble floors and wainscots.