Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Charleston's City Hall building was constructed between 1800 and 1804 in the Adamesque style to serve as a branch of The First Bank of the United States. In 1818 the charter was revoked and the City of Charleston converted the building for use as City Hall. JMA Preservation was contacted by Evans & Schmidt Architects to assist them in the conservation of exterior ornamental marble facades. JMA Preservation performed a detailed stone by stone conservation assessment, prepared construction documents and are providing construction observation and review services for this portion of the project.
This ca. 1801 brick building stands two stories high with a stucco finish and marble detailing. Marble elements include cornices, door and window surrounds, columns, pilasters, and quoins.
This conservation assessment was designed to address two specific objectives: first, to carry out a visual inspection of marble and sandstone surfaces and second, to develop recommendations and methodologies for conservation, stabilization, and reinforcement of the existing marble. JMA Preservation prepared construction documents for this work and provided construction review and observation services during the $65M renovation.