Location: Washington, DC
The Cannon House Office Building is a six story Beaux Arts structure constructed to provide office space for the U.S House of Representatives. Designed in 1904, the building occupies the site south of the U.S. Capitol bounded by Independence Avenue, First Street, New Jersey Avenue, and C Street S.E. The building was originally constructed between 1904 and 1908, in 1913 the fifth floor addition was added and the first major renovation was in 1932-1933 during the Art Deco period. The trapezoidal building features a rotunda in the northwest corner, formal committee rooms, three underground tunnels, a marble façade on the street elevations with carved decorative features and a limestone façade on the courtyard elevations. JMA Preservation serves as the historic materials consultant to Shalom Baranes Associates, the prime architect. Historic materials include marble, limestone, granite, ornamental plaster, Guastavino tile, mahogany, decorative metal, bronze light fixtures, and crystal chandeliers.
JMA Preservation was responsible for a field survey of historic materials, research of historic finishes, and recommendations for treatment. These findings resulted in defined repair criteria for each material. A Program of Requirements was the first step in the process. Following its approval, the team is now working on the development of construction documents.