Location: Washington, D. C.
Project type: university president's house and hospitality center
Client: George Washington University
Working closely with George Washington University's management and president, this building was restored and converted from the historic 'F Street Club' into the president's residence that also serves as a hospitality reception center. Built in 1849, the original F Street brick and wood structure is approximately 10,000 square feet on four levels.
Surrounded by a mix of historic and modern structures including student dormitories, the location is central to GWU's urban campus. This provides a symbolic location for the university president's home and reinforces the message that the university president is an integral part of student life.
The majority of the first floor and the exterior facade were determined to be the primary preservation zones, and significant efforts were undertaken for their full restoration including repair of large plaster moldings. In addition, repairs were designed to stabilize and waterproof the basement and foundation. The rehabilitation and remodel zones accommodated a variety of functional spaces including an elevator and private living space on upper floors. Additional improvements included a new banquet kitchen, green-roofed garden conservatory for entertaining and a parking garage.